Porters’ duties include:
- Meeting and Greeting the guest, and assisting with luggage
- Rooming the Guest; showing them how their room operates, location of light switches, environmental controls
- Luggage management
- Marketing the areas of the Hotel or resort including in house businesses and services
- Taking messages or mail for in house guests.
- Solving guest’s problems and queries about local and recreational facilities.
In some venues staff are multi-skilled and cross-trained, meaning that several different jobs will be performed by the same person.
- The concierge and the porter can be the same person
- Doorperson duties may be shared by the porters or concierge person
Sometimes porters share front desk duties and staff the reservations section.